Saturday, January 24, 2009

Using Flash in the Library

It is my last semester in T.E.A.M. and we are exploring Flash. As with most I have experienced so far in this degree program, I have no experience with Flash, but hope to understand and be able to use it very soon! For homework I had to view many different examples of flash on the web, which gave me a better idea of the many uses of flash for educational purposes. After viewing the examples, I developed the following three (3) ideas for incorporating flash into my library lessons:
1. Interactive Games
What better way to assess student learning than through a fun, interactive game? I know my students love playing games on the computer, so why not combine their love for gaming with a review of library terms or a crash quiz on the Dewey Decimal system? With flash, making learning fun for students is possible and helps me assess what my students are learning, what needs to be reinforced and/or explained in more detail. Whether it is a simple game or one which uses more advanced flash techniques, a game is an effective way to introduce or test information literacy skills.
2. Stimulating Lessons: Graphics, Sounds, Movie Clips
I think using flash techniques could really make research subjects come alive for students. Sites like PBS, Discovery Channel, and Smithsonian all use flash to put the viewer in the historical scene. Students can view a movie clip made in flash and gain a better understanding of what they will be researching. Short flash movie clips on a topic would be a great way to introduce a research project and build enthusiasm.
3. Splash Header for Library Website
I feel a vibrant and interactive website is a necessity for a 21st century library media center. Therefore, creating a splash header for the homepage would be a great way to stimulate interest in the library’s website and entice more students to explore further. Employing techniques similar to those used in the Smithsonian—African Voices example given to us, would really enhance the look and feel of my library’s website. Scrolling text, pictures appearing and fading over a set time, are just a few ideas which would look really nice. I can’t wait to start creating a splash page!

No comments: