Monday, March 17, 2008

Live from ASSET!

Here I am, at my very first technology conference. So far it is similar to the library and research conferences I have attended, with the name tags, free bags and breakfast. However, I find the vendors and all the cool technology much more fun to look at! As I wandered around the exhibits before the keynote address, I fell in love with a SmartBoard type of technology called Mimio Interactive, which turns ANY whiteboard surface (including a piece of white foam core board!) into an interactive surface! The ramifications of this little piece of technology astounded me, as I pictured teachers being able to share the Mimio, making it much more cost effective than large SmartBoards. Every class has a board, so just clip the Mimio on and you're set to go. I will definitely remember this piece of technology when I get a job in my own library next year, because if there is no SmartBoard already, I'll budget for the more cost-effective Mimio!

Rushton Hurley was the keynote speaker. He was great, very funny, informative and inspiring. His message was a good one, that technology will enable us to learn along side of our students, creating a fun learning environment which will increase focus and confidence of our students. He demonstrated a few fun and free technology tools and connected these to the curriculum and also to testing and assessment. His use of the interactive "clickers" was a lot of fun too! Now off to my first session on technology projects in the classroom! I'm having so much fun already!

1 comment:

Adam Dugger said...

Anne, you totally looked like you were having a great time, and I did too! I actually even had a better time than I thought I would!
It's amazing to see and hear so many different ideas going around from so many people that share a common goal.

Next year maybe you can present to us! :)